Sunday, December 2, 2007

What to Say to Stupid People

Yesterday I was commenting on someone's blog (If I remember the blog I'll add it later) about how stupid people can be when it comes to asking personal questions regarding having children. I said that the next time I'm asked...when are you going to have a baby, I will just say something like...you'll be the first to know. So of course, two people asked me today when I plan to have a baby and I didn't know what to say because this time they were teenagers. I can't blame them for being ignorant nor am I about to educate my teen students about infertility. I stumbled and stuttered and finally said something silly about wanting to spend time alone with my husband before I jumped into motherhood. They just kept asking me questions and I didn't know how to make it stop nor did I want to embarrass them as I would their parents had they asked instead. Uggh.

3 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

When I get that question, I usually groan and say something like "oh, not you too!" No one has ever pressed me past that.

I hate that question. I find it very rude. I blogged about it early in November.

Jendeis said...

With strangers or people who I am not close to, I generally leave it at "I'm sorry, but that's a personal question."

Family is much harder to deal with. With my MIL, every time she says something like that, I say, "I promise, when there's news, you will know." With SIL and her "helpfulness", I thanked her and told her that DH and I weren't discussing the issue with anyone.

Michele said...

Don't know if you're a religious person but I always say, "only G-d knows." That usually shuts them up.