Sunday, December 30, 2007

other peoples' kids

A girlfriend of mine is in town with her triplets...three adorable little girls. I think they are just over two years old. We are spending the afternoon with her and as much as I love to be with her kids, it's a struggle. I am sure I don't have to explain why.

My friend's husband left her after the babies were born. He told her she was the one who wanted them, not him, and that he wasn't in love with her any more. She's been working full time and raising them completely on her own. Her typical day is something like this...wake and get the kids ready for day care. Drop them off and go to work. Pick the kids up at day care and then take care of them until they go to bed at 8:00. The funniest thing...when I was visiting her last, the little girls kept saying "Mommy cookoo, Mommy cookoo" and pointing to their little heads. Anyone would be cookoo with a life like that. I don't know how she does it. I pray her ex-husband is accidentally castrated in the most painful way imaginable.

New Year's day we will spend with my sister-in-law's family. She's got two little ones and they are both awesome. What sucks is listening to my sister-in-law say the most hurtful things like...oh, you are so lucky you don't have kids yet. oh, kids are such hard work...just you wait and see. oh, you can't imagine how hard it is. and on and on and on. I know she doesn't mean to hurt me, but she does. I don't want her knowing our business though, so I don't say anything. I'm sure my mother-in-law keeps her informed however. My mother-in-law is the type who says...now don't tell them I told you...that's how she starts everything she says. Who am I kidding? There are no secrets in our family.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

what a great husband!! Some people.

Sorry you've got a rough few days coming up. I'll be thinking of you

HereWeGoAJen said...

I am starting to think about just boycotting holidays at in-laws. Anybody with me?

Michele said...

Sadly there are no secrets in any family. I've learned it just safest not to tell any family member anything unless I want all of them to know. However, it can come in handy when you do want something spread around : )