Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Clean Air

I live in an apartment building with at least four smokers that I know of...one being my darling husband who says he simply doesn't have the strength to quit. It sucks and I tell him he will not hold our future child after smoking a cigarette. He does not smoke inside however. The others do and it's disgusting to walk by their doorways when they are open because the smell just hits you in the face. One woman downstairs actually went for surgery a few months back for her knee but they were unable to operate because she had blood clots in her lungs. Wouldn't blood clots in your lungs scare you badly enough to encourage you to quit? She's not elderly, probably my mother's age, but she looks rather ancient and she rarely leaves the house for medical reasons. All she does is chain smoke in her home. If she's looking for a way to die, I could suggest some faster ways that wouldn't infringe on others' rights to breath clean air.

So since we've started trying to conceive I've started worrying about all these things right? I stopped using deodorant last week as an experiment. Here's the thing...I estimate I have been using deodorant for about 20 years or so. (Ok, I know this really is of no interest to you but anyway...) The other day I was contemplating shaving my underarms and legs and then I decided there was no point because I still have that no sex thing going as directed by my doctor so I might as well take advantage and let it all grow out. But I was thinking, when I do shave and then apply deodorant, there is always that sting. Got me thinking...that can't be good. So I'm going without these days and it's so freaking cold out it doesn't even matter because I won't be sweating for months.

Back to the clean air...We also have these cleaning ladies who clean the staircases and hallways. They spray so much air fresher that one can't breath when entering the building. Since it is a small, enclosed area, the smell of roses and cigarettes is perpetually trapped. The thing is, they think that by spraying this poison they are cleaning but they are really just masking dirty air with toxic chemicals. I bet they buy the stuff from dollar stores and it's imported from China or some third world country where there are no standards. (Sorry to pick on China, but I don't trust their products at this point). I am forced to play this game where I open the front door, run up the stairs and try to enter my apartment all on the breath I took outside. I inevitably lose the game and end up taking a big gulp of disgusting air as I'm trying to unlock the multiple locks on my door (we live in a shady neighborhood). We've purchased one of those air purifiers but I don't know how efficacious they really are. We keep it on 24/7. It seems to just make a lot of noise.

That's all I've got today. Still don't feel the slightest bit pregnant.

3 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

You know, I heard that only something like less than 1% of the products from China had something wrong with them. It was just something that the media jumped on. You know, like the summer of the shark attacks when there were really less attacks than the year before?

Not that knowing that makes anyone really feel any better, of course.

Michele said...

I wonder if it would be possible to convince the cleaning people in your building to use more natural cleaners. Sorry to sound like I'm trying to sell something here but I just blogged about this a few days ago. I had a miscarriage after about 5 weeks of pregnancy and after cleaning three bathroom with bleach. Per my doctor, the bleach had nothing to do with it but it got me wondering so I started looking for more natural cleaners and discovered that Shaklee, a company I'd been buying vitamins from for years also had cleaning products. I was convince enough to sign up as a distributor and I'm now on the process of trying to switch out all of my cleaning products for more natural ones. It might be worth talking to your cleaning people about. I really do think these toxic cleaning products are doing a lot more harm to us than we realize.

nancy said...

in regards to "feeling" pregnant...

Some women feel symptoms, some don't. I've even had both worlds - felt it and didn't. The boobs feeling sore thing, that is from the progesterone that is produced during your luteal phase. Progesterone is also produced while you are pregnant, so it's one of those things.

Good luck!