Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Whole World Appears to Be Pregnant

I went to Costcos Friday to buy supplies for work. Everywhere I turned I saw pregnant women. I started crying uncontrollably and had to leave. It was a bit embarrassing. I'm a nutjob. Now I have to go back to that freaking place, battle cars again for a parking spot and do it all over again. Maybe I should go on a different day of the week...maybe Friday is pregnant shoppers day.

Yesterday I get to work and my secretary says she has to tell me something but she'll wait until the end of the day. Without a pause I say, "Are you pregnant?" and she just gave me the biggest grin. I didn't cry. I think I was prepared for this one, unlike my good friend who surprised me with the news a couple weeks ago.

The thing that gets me though is that my secretary proceeded to tell me that she really didn't want another child, that this was not planned and that it couldn't be more inconvenient. Well if that isn't icing on my cake...terrific, you didn't even want it and you got it.

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yeah, I hate it when that happens. It's so unfair.

Meghan said...

Sounds like Target on a Saturday. I don't go there or to the mall on the weekends...I always end up surrounded by them

and sorry about the co-worker...sucks

Unknown said...

Sounds like you handled it well. I probably would have said something about how inbetween birth control pills, condoms and abstinence these things don't have to sneak up on a person. But then again, I have no class.

Michele said...

I know exactly how you feel. I went through a phase where I cried everytime I had to go to babies r us and I felt like the only woman there who wasn't pregnant. It sucked. The feeling does pass though, I promise.

Jendeis said...

I hear you, I hear you, I hear you.

Maybe there's something about intelligence -- where it exists, so may infertility. B/c lately, the only pregnant people I see are very, very stupid. For example, Jamie-Lynn Spears.

I_Sell_Books said...

Oo, the driveby. Hate those.

It's the women who don't want children who repeatedly get pregnant that annoy the hell out of me.

nancy said...

Sing it sister!

April said...

Just found your blog. We used to live in Utah and we thankfully moved because everyone seems to be pregnant there from really young teens to 50+ women. I feel your pain and frustration. We have been trying for 10.5 years to have a baby and know what it is like.