Thursday, January 24, 2008

Freaking Out

I finally received a packet from bitch nurse yesterday. In it is my consent forms and all kinds of information on IVF as well as information that I should have known several weeks ago when I started the birth control pill. Nice that I finally got this information.

So now I'm completely freaking out because I don't understand what the hell is going on. I inject myself with Lubron on the 31st. I continue to take the pills until the 4th. Do I continue with the Lubron and if I do, for how long? Then the 11th I go in for my ultrasound and blood work and then the retrieval is supposed to happen around the 20th. My husband has to go on antibiotics (news to us). I have to go on antibiotics. Then there is something about stimulation drugs...? Bitch nurse requested both Follistand and Gonal F. which I'm told are basically the same thing and that she must have made a mistake. But guess what...? Bitch nurse is on vacation and now I'm dealing with another nurse.

Then I have to run over to my primary care doctor for a new referral b/c my insurance doesn't cover IVF but thank G-d my husband's does. Meanwhile I have been calling my primary care doctor for an entire week and no one will freaking call me back...hence, why I'm driving over there.

I DON'T WANT TO DO IVF! Honestly, I don't know how we are going to inject things in my stomach. That's what I fear...I can't do the injections. And my husband tells me I'm making too much of this. He has no compassion. It's not his freaking body...of course it's NO BIG DEAL!

8 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Injections suck. A lot.

Is there someone else at your doctor's office you can talk to? Or just find someone online that has done this before, they ought to be able to answer some of your questions.

Michele said...

I'm not sure if this will help but I just found this info at Frum Fertility ... might be worth checking into this group for support:
http://fruminfertility.blogspot.com/2008/01/infertility-meeting.html

Meghan said...

I am so sorry you don't get any support from your clinic. I feel like someone should have went over your protocols with you before all this.

And men just do not get this at all. The night before my first injection I was freaking out and my darling husband picked up his shirt, pinched his stomach, and pushed his fingernail in saying "see, no big deal". You don't want to even know the fight we had that night!

Sorry for the long comment...and hoping you get some answers soon

I_Sell_Books said...

What?? You should have gotten the complete protocols with your paperwork!!! You must call immediately and find out how much you're supposed to take, when you're to cut down the Lupron, and what days (and times) you go in for wandings and bloodwork. You won't find out the specific day of retrieval until they see how you respond to the meds as they may need to tweak the meds.

And the injections? If they're sub-q they're really not that big a deal. Honest. Pinch some skin, put the needle in straight (try not to inject near a muscle, that can get stingy) and inject. You won't even feel the Lupron going in. Some of the meds sting a little, and I found the hCG shot quite stingy, but I recovered.

Gah, can I hate your clinic for you?

Trying said...

My wife was terrified of the sub-cutaneous shots at first also! Now she says they're not a big deal at all. I know, I've never had to do it myself, but that's what my wife said. The ones you have to watch out for are the intra-muscular shots!

nancy said...

Wow. Good luck at figuring all that out.

And be thankful, be VERY thankful you have IVF coverage. I have a question though ...

Are you on your husband's policy? And you have your own? So you are covered under 2?

nancy said...

Wow. Good luck at figuring all that out.

And be thankful, be VERY thankful you have IVF coverage. I have a question though ...

Are you on your husband's policy? And you have your own? So you are covered under 2?

Nicole Brady said...

I used Gonal-F and saved money by getting the multi-dose unit instead of the singles. Sub-q is easy once you get past the initial fear of it. They told me to pinch a big section then punch it in as quickly as possible at "this" angle. That didn't work for me. I found that pinching then slowly inserting it was painless.

DH had to do the HCG and it was hard for him. One month, I actually drove 2 hours to the Dr's office for one of them to give it to me.

And Hekateris was correct - you need your protocols. My RE was very specific about the exact time each shot needed to be given.

We're with you all the way so just send us a shout if you need anything.