Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Waiting Room Etiquette

Here's the scene...I've already been in the waiting room for 3 hours having been pricked several times and had that condom covered thing shoved in me by yet another doctor whose name I never did get. I'm on the verge of hysteria and I'm eager to get the insemination over with so I can get the hell out, go home and prop my feet up over my head while praying for a miracle. I'm distracted however by the following...

1. A mom comes in pushing her toddler. I get it, she's had one but she wants another. That's fair. I might be in the same position someday but the thing is...I don't have one yet so how about leaving the kid with a sitter? This is my sanctuary, the one place I shouldn't have to see the love of someone else's life drooling and giggling. He is a cute and I can't help but smile when I see him, but I want to scratch her eyes out.

2. Gay couple who just met the woman who has agreed to be a surrogate mother accompanied by her husband are laughing and carrying on as if they are in a bar. I'm so glad we live in a world where their dreams can be realized too, but a little decorum please, I'm getting inseminated...you're behavior is pissing me off!

3. The room is packed, not a seat to be found and women are now standing around the desk and in the entryway while men sit. Get your ass up and offer these women seats! It's nice you've come along to support your wife or maybe you are there to do your thing in the cup, but how can you sit comfortably while these anxious women are forced to shift from foot to foot? What's wrong with people?

That's all all I've got for now...I'm sure there are others I've yet to encounter.

2 comments:

lltanderson said...

i'm so sorry that you had to deal with all of this while waiting for such an invasive and nerve-wracking experience. i've been where you are, and i've been the person who's been insensitive to your feelings. i'm sorry. i felt really SHITTY doing it, but i had no choice that day (http://eggsinabasket.blogspot.com/2007/09/initial-consultation-with-re-check.html).

wishing you the very best,
-lori

nancy said...

You know, the kid thing REALLY bugs me (and I have two of my own).

Yes, I have IF too and I need to go through thousands and thousands of dollars for mine too, but I would never EVER take my kids into the IF office. I find it SO insensitive. I've cancelled my appointment once when I didn't have a sitter. I seriously don't get it when ppl do that. I actually think it should not be allowed. Period.

Another one to add - This happened a few weeks ago. I'm sitting there and a woman comes in with her husband's sample - OUT OF THE BAG! Ick. I could just see it. ick ick. Bag coverage PLEASE!