Thursday, November 15, 2007

Reduction

Reduction...the process of reducing. The word has taken on a completely new meaning in the last few weeks and it really bothers me. When a store is having a sale, items are reduced. When one diets and exercises, one's size might be reduced. I dislike that they use this word for embryos. To me, reduction sounds so benign and simple, yet I know there is nothing simple about this decision.

I wrote on someone's blog yesterday that my husband and I don't share the same attitude about this matter. I don't even really know how I feel about it. After trying to conceive for some long, I can't imagine being in the position to have to consider reducing the number. My fear, next to not ever conceiving, is conceiving too many and having to face this morale dilemma.

I totally get that it is in the best interest of the healthiest embryos to limit the number. I also don't want to end up the star of my own tv show. Of course, there is also the strain and potential danger to one's body carrying so many.

Part of me says not to worry about it. I don't know any statistics about women who encounter this issue, so why deal with it unless I have to? However, my friend with multiples told me that I have to have a talk with my husband ahead of time just in case. I just don't have the strength to argue with him. He loves to debate about everything and anything.

I offer no alternative to the word reduction. I know I'm not supposed to utter a complaint unless I have a solution, but I don't. Maybe they should just use a medical term no one would recognize.

1 comment:

nancy said...

"selective reduction" frightens me to no end. It is why I will never put more than two in, if I ever get to IVF. It's why I'll cancel any IUI cycle if there are more than two mature follies. I know that I won't be able to reduce so I will never put myself in the position, even if it means I am wasting chances.

Of ~course~, I'm in a totally different game with the state my family is already in, so I wouldn't ever think anyone else should do the same as I do. But I did want to tell you that the word "reduction" took a different meaning to me too, once I started treatment.