Saturday, November 17, 2007

Feeling a Bit Self-Absorbed

Two and a half years ago I went to my bestfriend's wedding. I wouldn't have missed it for the world...I loved this girl! My husband and I flew down to Texas, got a hotel room for two nights, a rental car and the gift of course. We blew over a $1000 for everything. It was a lovely wedding. Months went by and we never got a thank you. Then it was a year and well, still nothing.

Fast forward to my wedding...she and her husband RSVP'd for both the rehearsal dinner and the wedding/reception. When they missed the rehearsal dinner I called to make sure everything was ok since they had a two hour drive to our event. Everything was fine, except they couldn't find a dog sitter. I was a little hurt, but ok, they'd still come for the wedding the next day. (Could have saved myself the $200 for their dinners though). So then the wedding day comes. I'm standing up there with my family, and this thing is actually happening...I'm getting married. I turn around briefly to scan the audience to see who has come and she's no where to be found. I decide I'm not going to let this affect me...no big deal, she'll show. I hate that I turned around during my ceremony and didn't see her. Well, she never showed. (That's another $300 by the way.)

We went on our honeymoon and upon our return I called to find out what happened. I love this...she tells me she was "feeling a bit self-absorbed" and was not up to coming. I would have settled for any other excuse. What the hell does that mean? Who says that? Since then, I've longed for opportunities to use that excuse, but I could never get the words out of my mouth. That sucks!

So, the reason I'm going on about this thing that happened several years ago is because I have attended my share of baby showers and weddings since my bestfriend's wedding and I've received two thank you cards. Two cards. When was it ok to stop sending thank you cards? When I was a child, my mother forced me to send them immediately and I'm not just talking a quick thanks. I'm talking about a personalized note that acknowledges the gift and gift-giver. Do we live in such a degenerate age that we no longer show appreciation to others?

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yeah, that bothers me too. I'm starting to get to the point where I am thinking about calling and saying "did you get the gift? I hadn't heard from you so I wanted to make sure it arrived all right?"

Searching said...

I totally agree. I've called to check up on things, too, esp when you never know about the postal service. And they should feel bad about not saying thank you if they do it alot. It's an easy thing. Even an email would do for me.

I'm sorry about your friend and your wedding. That excuse is unheard of. Are you still acquaintances? (I wouldn't be that nice!)