Saturday, February 23, 2008

pee pee dance and the transfer

Had my transfer this morning. They called at 9:00 and told us to be there at 11:30.

I was supposed to "empty my bladder" before leaving the house and then begin drinking 4- 5 glasses of water at 11:15. By the time I was ready to go in for the procedure I was floating. (For those of you who are unfamiliar...the procedure is done with a full bladder so they can see what they are doing). That's entirely too much water for my bladder. So I was pacing in my tiny space in the waiting room, praying for them to hurry up and get to me. My husband kept calling me a spaz and saying "none of the other women in here are having problems like you." Finally I asked to "let a little out". Then I had to do it again a few minutes later. Then I asked the nurse one last time and she said no, hold it...I'm going to delay the procedure.

The doctor finally came in to answer our questions. He had a picture of our two little embryos but I couldn't focus as I was preoccupied doing the pee pee dance. He noticed and suggested I go a little more. The whole thing was horribly embarrassing, and I regret that I couldn't ask more questions about the procedure because I was so absorbed with not wetting the floor. We got into the room, they quickly transfered the embryos and I thought I'd finally be able to pee but they said I had to lie there another 20 minutes before getting up to go to the bathroom. I thought I was going to die. I know, I sound like a child. So anyway, long story short...I had to use a bed pan (that was yet another first for me).

I'm certain they will never forget me. I'm hoping never to do this again just so I don't have to show my face there again.

Seriously though, we had two embryos and I was a bit disappointed there weren't more but relieved that I didn't have to make a choice about the number to transfer. One embryo was at 8 cells but the other was only at 4 cells. They said the smaller one might be slowing down. I just pray one of them makes it. I can't believe I have two potential babies inside of me.

4 comments:

Trying said...

Don't be upset about the number. Remember, all you need is one. Hope it goes well!

Rebecca said...

OMG! I had the same problem...I hardly remember the entire procedure b/c I was so preoccupied with peeing! You're not alone...the nurses actually told me that my bladder was so full that it made them have to go to the bathroom...nice, huh? You're normal! Glad everything else went well...sorry about the bedpan!

Michele said...

This is so exciting. How long will it be before you know something? And regarding the pee, I would have been doing the exact same thing. If I have to pee, I can't focus on anything else.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I'm sure you've got one good one! Go embies, go! Enjoy your bed rest!

They actually told me to go pee when they saw how full my bladder was. They checked it with the ultrasound, and were like, "Holy cow!" But nothing worse than starting to pee then having to cut it off!