Saturday, May 3, 2008

Pregnant But Not Ready to Put It Out There

I went in for another blood test this morning. I love getting up early on my only day off to drive 45 minutes so someone can stick a needle in me. Anyway, my beta doubled so it's apparent I'm pregnant. I'm not admitting that out loud yet. My husband doesn't understand why we can't tell our family yet. He thinks that if anything goes wrong, G-d forbid, that our families should know too. I've tried repeatedly to explain to him that it just isn't done. We must wait until the second trimester. I'm sure he won't be able to keep it quiet...he'll tell his parents and make them promise not to say anything. Then his mother will tell the rest of the family and make them promise not to say anything. Then she'll call me and drop hints that she knows. That's my in-laws. I'm just so freaking scared that something will go wrong.

6 comments:

Denise said...

Very quietly whispering a small "congrats!"

Nicole Brady said...

Since we already had problems with getting pregnant, we were very slow to tell anyone. You have to do what is best for you. It's very difficult to tell someone when you feel like you're going to jinx yourself. Talk to your husband and tell him how you feel and how you need some time to soak it up by yourself and to enjoy it by yourself before you start to share it with the world.

Congrats!

Trying said...

It really is your choice. We told our parents when we "graduated" from the fertility clinic. I had wanted to tell earlier. Not right away, but earlier. My reasoning was that when we had the miscarriage, we told my parents that day, and leaned on them for support. Why shouldn't we tell them when it's good news? And even if, God forbid, something would go wrong, we'd tell them then, so why not now?

Meghan said...

So excited for you! Tell people only when you're ready. I've found that not everyone gets the cautious optimism. From this point out it needs to be about you and this little baby, not your family

JewishMama said...

Daven, daven, daven! It's all you can do.

Michele said...

We had the same thing happen with out last pregnancy. My MIL figured it out and I asked her not to tell anyone and of course she told all of her friends. Then we had a miscarraige and I had all of these people staring at me with that "we feel so sorry for you" look but they couldn't say anything because they weren't supposed to know. It's a difficult decision. On one hand, it's good to have a strong support system during the good and bad times but on the other hand, sometimes you just want to be left alone and keep things private.