Wednesday, June 4, 2008

could it get any worse?

warning...sensitive subject- not intended for everyone.

so today i went to my ob-gyn for the first time. she's great. we told her about the triplets, the issue with baby c and all that's been happening and she sent us immediately over to a perinatologist. he was super amazing and gave us all the time we wanted to ask questions. basically they all (my fertility doctor included) think baby c has something wrong with it. they all agree that due to a variety of risk factors we should consider eliminating c. they say c could affect the health of the other two. i don't want to upset anyone out there by talking about this. it's the hardest thing i've ever had to deal with and i've no idea what to do. the perinatologist said there is a chance it will still terminate on it's own before we have to make any decisions. i'm so angry at the fertility doctor for transferring three. we should never have done that. i questioned him at the time but he said that's what he was recommending. guess it doesn't matter now. what a mess. i keep thinking... this is what i prayed for??? i'm pregnant but i never expected this. could it get any worse?


8 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm so sorry you're stuck in this limbo. Hoping everything works out how you want it to

JewishMama said...

You have to do whats best for you and the babies. If that means only carrying two, then so be it. Maybe speak to a Rabbi about a possible reduction if it will help you. Hope things look brighter v soon.

I_Sell_Books said...

Could they be any more specific about the 'something wrong' or were they just very vague? So far from what you've said I haven't heard anything that makes me thing there's something wrong with Baby C...did they offer any tests, like a level2 u/s?

This is terrible news and I really hope you get an answer that can point you in one direction or another.

sara said...

I am so sorry that you have to be faced with these choices and emotions. I will be thinking of you and the babies.

Nicole Brady said...

Don't be frustrated or angry with the fertility doctor... this is their business and they know what's best. All my friends in LA that had IVF transferred at least three.

When we started our treatments, we were required to sign a document allowing for "selective reduction" in the event of multiples or difficulties. They never expect more than two or three to implant and survive... the more they do, the better your chances of success.

Hang in there. You're doing what you have to do at the recommendation of people that know what they are doing. It will all work out.

Trying said...

Keep in mind that the issue with C might not be caused by multiples, it could be there is a chromosomal problem. If that's the case, be happy you got 3 transfered - the one with the issues might have been the one they put back, with no others! Where would you be then?

C said...

I'm so sorry you're being put in this place. I was actually thinking about this kind of situation when they wanted to cancel my cycle and I decided to take my chances...I don't know what I'd do in your place.

You're in my thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

Kristen said...

I wish you the best of luck with your decision. I can't imagine how hard it must be to consider reduction. Lots of love coming your way. XOXO