Wednesday, August 20, 2008

made it over another hurdle

so i got my amnio results back today. the doctor was so nonchalant about it...ya, everthing's fine she says. relief. thank you G-d. so i asked if that means we can be sure that there are no problems and she said that there are always problems amnio can't detect, but everything appears fine at this point. i don't think i'll relax until they are in my arms.

meanwhile they have moved. instead of one being on top of the other they are now heads up against each other in my middle with their feet pointing out opposite directions. she said they are battling for space at this point and that i'll start to feel their feet most likely kicking me on each side. the reason i haven't felt them yet is that the placenta is over the top of my stomach and the thick layer prevents me from feeling anything. another two weeks she said.

i'm amazed at how big i am. i look at pictures of other women on their blogs who are much further along and they are half the size of me. so far the weight appears to be in my stomach...i mean i've got a big round ball. i'm hoping it stays there and doesn't spread to my butt. i've gained 18 pounds now. she said a healthy weight gain for twins is 50...i think that's a bit excessive.

i'll be 20 weeks tomorrow according to the doctor but actually 18 weeks according to the date we did ivf. still don't understand why they tack on those two weeks when we know the conception date.

that's all for now.

6 comments:

Soapchick said...

Great news!! You are more than half way there!

Meghan said...

So glad you got good news!

And congrats at the almost half way point. 18 weeks was when I started to feel like a human being again ;)

JewishMama said...

Great news about the test results!

Trying said...

Congrats! The reason they add on 2 weeks is that the normal way they calculate a pregnancy is based on the date of the last period. A 40 week pregnancy starts from then. The retrieval was approximately 2 weeks after your period, so they add 2 weeks.

sara said...

Great news to hear about your amnio...congrats!

Denise said...

So glad the amnio came back normal! I was told 35-45 pounds weight gain is good for twins. But from the books I've read, 50 pounds is better.