Thursday, April 24, 2008

feeling miserable

my condition gets worse towards evening when my stomach swells up and the indigestion/ heartburn starts. i've never experienced anything this miserable. my pants still won't button so i'm living in my husband's sweats. I regret everything i eat...everything burns several hours after a meal. it sure would be nice to hear from someone who's experienced hyperstimulation. i mean does this sound normal. maybe it's a medication i'm taking? i finished the steroids last night and the antibiotics this morning so hopefully that will help. oh and i found out from my nurse that it's the steroids that were making me pee every half hour at night. did i mention this? i wake up every half hour to pee. my record is 14 times in a night. my husband thought i was exaggerating until he stayed up the other nite working and saw me in action. i'm functioning on no sleep, swollen ovaries and heartburn. then there's the gas, constipation and cramping...ok, i'll stop bitching.

so no more doctors, ultrasounds or blood tests until my pregnancy test on the may 1st. that's all. thanks for listening to me grumble.

6 comments:

Michele said...

you're making me really look forward to all this medication I'm about to start taking next week : ) I hope you feel better soon. Have you used the Yoga for Fertility video? I dug mine out of the cabinet last night and vowed to start using it again. I think I'm really going to need some serenity over the next few weeks.

Trying said...

My wife had a case of it also. Our doctor said she should drink lots of Gatorade/Powerade (if you keep kosher), although neither are good for Passover, if that bothers you. He told her to drink about 2 liters per day. Basically, if you get hyperstimulated, your body doesn't absorb liquid properly, and you can get dehydrated easily, which makes you feel crappy. If you drink gatorade/powerade, the electrolytes get absorbed, which helps a lot.
If you want to help the bloating go down faster, cut down on your sodium intake. Cut out salt from your cooking, and check the labels on your foods for the sodium levels. Sodium makes your body retain water, so less sodium=less water retained. At least, it worked for my wife.

sara said...

I just got over a case of OHSS myself after our first IVF. Mine was a late onset and didn't develop until my HCG started soaring when we got pregnant. But my story is very similar in the fact that my swelling got way worse as the day went on. If I weighed myself in the morning and then at night there would be a 12lb gain sometimes even if I barely ate or drank what I normally would. Let me know if you have any questions or if I can be helpful. I wrote a few posts about it last week on my blog. Not sure if that helps. They had me doing protein shakes, limiting my water, on bedrest and frequent ultrasounds and a whole slew of labs. Things are better now. I hope yours clears up soon.

Denise said...

Hi there. Came over from L&F. Sorry you're feeling so crappy. I'm in a similar situation with the fluid/bloating right now and trying to keep it away enough to make it to transfer. My doc's advice is lots of fluids, preferably with electrolytes (gatorade/propel). I'm drinking vitamin water because I can't stand gatorade.

I was also told to eat AS MUCH sodium as I can-not to limit it. Sodium attracts fluid, so as you ingest it, it pulls fluid from the tissue back into the veins where it belongs so that your body can flush it out. I had an old post that had some medical excerpt on why this works. I know it is counter-intuitive, but our clinic swears by it. So I've been snacking on beef jerky (salt and protein), string cheese and pretzels and eating as many frozen foods as I can (pot pies, pizza, etc.) as they contain a lot of sodium.

Denise said...

Oh, I forgot to mention. When they do an ultrasound for a fluid check, ask them to do it abdominally (as opposed to transvaginally). This is standard procedure for hyperstim checks at our clinic and they are able to see fluid just fine.

Katie said...

I'm sorry about the OHSS. If it makes it any better, I have heard that this is one of the very first signs that a pregnancy took!